- In this movie we're going to examine…the workflow of looking at alternate takes.…Now, I know you've looked at alternate takes…in previous movies, but this is a whole different…way of approaching it.…Let's step into 03-05 Alternate Takes…and take a look.…Now, I've set up my timeline with five clips…at the very beginning, and these are exactly…the same lines read from different angles…and at different times.…So each read has slightly different nuance.…Let's take a quick look at the five reads…and see how they differ.…
I'm going to just skim over the beginning of each one…of them to hear Mr. Dalton's line.…- How's the coffee?…How's the coffee?…So, how's the coffee?…So, how's the coffee?…So, how's the coffee?…- So we've seen this line before, but if you notice,…each read is slightly different.…Some are more firm, and some…are more compassionate.…
So it's more than just choosing the angle,…sometimes you need to choose the right read…to get the right emotional response.…The same thing is true for Joseph's response.…- It's cold.…
Note: This course was updated to reflect the changes to Final Cut Pro X v. 10.1.x. Although the course was not re-recorded from scratch, we updated each of the movies by adding text overlays to guide you to existing changes. We also updated the exercise files to work with the most current version of the software. Please watch the "Understanding this update and using the exercise files" movie to learn exactly what to expect from this updated course. Working with an earlier version of Final Cut Pro X? Watch Narrative Scene Editing with Final Cut Pro X 10.0.9.
- Preparing and importing your media
- Evaluating shots and performances
- Incorporating additional assets like images
- Editing a dialogue scene
- Adding reaction shots
- Using alternative takes
- Editing a montage
- Selecting and organizing clips
- Enhancing a scene with audio
- Replacing location audio or a dialogue track
- Transitioning between scenes
- Using creative color and effects
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Preparing for the Edit
Preparing the interface4m 2s
2. Understanding the Workflow of Cutting a Narrative Film
Adding assets1m 50s
3. Editing a Dialogue Scene
4. Editing a Montage
5. Editing a Multicamera Shoot
6. Using Audio to Enhance a Scene
7. Finishing Techniques
Next steps2m 2s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.