Join Ashley Kennedy for an in-depth discussion in this video Taking a look at project assets, part of Commercial Editing Techniques with Final Cut Pro X v10.1.x.
- View Offline
- Before starting out, it's important…to know exactly what you've got to work with.…As an editor, you'll be given a lot of material,…and it's so important to go through everything,…and screen it, and organize it,…so that you're creative process isn't hindered…by looking for the perfect shot.…Now let's take a look at what basic assets we have…for this project, so that we can get off on the right foot.…After the script was drawn up, and the…style frames were created, the production teams…staged a shoot based on the design concepts…from these pre-visualization materials.…
The shoot produced a little more than two hours…of original footage of various athletes…performing activities from many…different camera angles.…Our job is to create a 30 second commercial…from all of this footage.…So we're working with about a 240 to one shooting…ratio, where we have about 240 times more…footage as is going to end up in the final spot.…Now that sounds daunting, but let's just take…a look at what we've got.…First of all, I have all of the B roll…
Note: This course was updated to reflect the changes to Final Cut Pro X v. 10.1.x. Although the course was not re-recorded from scratch, we updated the applicable movies by adding text overlays to guide you through existing changes. We also updated the exercise files to work with the most current version of the software. Please watch the "Understanding this update and using the exercise files" movie to learn exactly what to expect from this updated course. Working with an earlier version of Final Cut Pro X? Watch Commercial Editing Techniques with Final Cut Pro X v10.0.9.
- What is commercial editing?
- Understanding the product's audience and intent
- Marking the best shots
- Laying out the visual structure
- Building an audio foundation
- Manipulating speed
- Adding transition effects
- Adding graphics, music, and voice-over
- Delivering the project and receiving feedback