- I finished cutting in most of my B roll…and I'm ready to start polishing the scene.…So let's step into 05-04 Polishing and take a look…at some of the things that I can do.…The first thing I may want to do is…tweak some of the edit points.…I got close, but now I really want to refine my timing.…So I'm gonna go ahead and listen…and I think at around, if I recall at around…37, 38 seconds in I had a bad edit.…Let me go ahead and watch this.…- Before or after the hour.…
- Oh, I see.…- Oh, I'm also supposed to tell you--…- Yeah, I should cut to him a little bit earlier…and I could do a simple roll edit,…but I wanna show you another very useful technique.…I can go ahead and select the edit point.…And by default, because this is still a MultiCam clip,…I don't have to change it to a roll edit.…It's always gonna be a roll edit.…And then I position my playhead where…I want the cut to be.…So I could do this by playing it, by dragging it,…and then simply press shift X as in x-ray…and I do what's called an extend edit.…
And it quickly jumps the edit point to…
Note: This course was updated to reflect the changes to Final Cut Pro X v. 10.1.x. Although the course was not re-recorded from scratch, we updated each of the movies by adding text overlays to guide you to existing changes. We also updated the exercise files to work with the most current version of the software. Please watch the "Understanding this update and using the exercise files" movie to learn exactly what to expect from this updated course. Working with an earlier version of Final Cut Pro X? Watch Narrative Scene Editing with Final Cut Pro X 10.0.9.
- Preparing and importing your media
- Evaluating shots and performances
- Incorporating additional assets like images
- Editing a dialogue scene
- Adding reaction shots
- Using alternative takes
- Editing a montage
- Selecting and organizing clips
- Enhancing a scene with audio
- Replacing location audio or a dialogue track
- Transitioning between scenes
- Using creative color and effects
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Preparing for the Edit
Preparing the interface4m 2s
2. Understanding the Workflow of Cutting a Narrative Film
Adding assets1m 50s
3. Editing a Dialogue Scene
4. Editing a Montage
5. Editing a Multicamera Shoot
6. Using Audio to Enhance a Scene
7. Finishing Techniques
Next steps2m 2s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.