An essential technique for editing on any non-linear editor is to play around an edit point to see how it flows with the rest of the piece. What are the keyboard shortcuts to playback an edit in real time? In this movie, author Nick Harauz explores how to use keyboard shortcuts to playback an edit point in Apple Final Cut Pro X.
- The most important thing when editing video…is to make sure we make our edit decisions…when playing back in real time.…In this movie, we'll explore how Final Cut Pro X…makes this process simple and how we can easily navigate…and use keyboard shortcuts to play around edit points.…So I wanna select my 2.2 keyword collection…and double click the project to open it,…and this play around edit in action.…So I'm gonna move to my edit point…between my first and second clip,…and with the default settings, I wanna hit shift ?…- This chicken is amazing mazing!…- Oh, now.…
- [Instructor] So notice what happens.…It played two second before the playhead…then two seconds after.…Then the playhead jumped back to the edit point.…In this case, what I'm gonna do is actually move forward…to the next edit point.…So right here in my project,…I'm actually gonna hit the ' key,…and the ' key is gonna move to the next edit point.…Just keep in mind that the ; actually will move…back a previous edit point.…You can use also your down and up arrows…
Join Nick Harauz as he demonstrates advanced techniques for shortening clips, trimming video, and selecting ranges on clips. He shows you how to extend edits, deal with connected clips, compare cuts, use dynamic trimming, and more. Along the way, he includes shortcut commands, so you can expedite your workflow, driving all your editing from the keyboard. To ensure you're ready to use his tips in the real-world, he wraps up the course by going through two examples, cutting dialogue and cutting documentary footage in the timeline.
- Extending edits
- Splitting edits
- Lifting clips
- Comparing cuts
- Working with video from multiple cameras
- Overlapping footage
- Moving between edit points
- Trimming numerically
- Trimming dynamically
- Using the Precision Editor