Join Abba Shapiro for an in-depth discussion in this video Legacy editing paradigms, part of Migrating from Final Cut Pro 7 to Final Cut Pro X (2011).
This movie is titled legacy editing, and what I want to cover here is working…with something new called a gap edit to make Final Cut X work a lot like Final Cut 7.…Let's go ahead and step into the project.…Now you'll notice we have two clips on the Timeline and there are a couple of…things you cannot do in Final Cut Pro X with the Selection tool.…For instance, if I wanted to drag this clip to the right to leave a space in the…middle to video in later, it will automatically snap back.…Now don't think you can't do this. All you have to do is switch to the proper tool.…
If you go to your Tool drop-down menu, and instead of having Select…chosen, switch to Position.…Now if you look closely, the difference between the icon for Select is an arrow…with a tail and the Position is an arrow with outer tail.…Once you switch to the Position tool you can simply drag the clip exactly where…you want it and you'll notice it stays where you leave it. But it's done…something else. Final Cut has created what's called a gap clip.…
This course helps experienced Final Cut Pro editors understand new ways of performing traditional editing techniques. New terminology and new tools for performing editing functions are also clarified.
- Touring the X interface
- Running Final Cut Pro 7 and X on the same machine
- Importing and analyzing media
- New editing methods (including append and connected clips)
- Timeline editing (including ripple, roll, slip, and slide edits)
- Adding audio
- Fine-tuning with the Precision Editor
- Adding and adjusting transitions
- Creating titles
- Applying motion effects to clips
- Performing color corrections
- Archiving and collaboration
Skill Level Beginner
1. Setting Up the Workspace
2. Importing and Managing Assets
3. Creating Projects and Editing
4. Using Effects and Making Adjustments
5. Exporting and Sharing
Collaboration and archiving5m 56s
Next steps3m 26s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.