Join Diana Weynand for an in-depth discussion in this video Finessing cutaways to enhance the story, part of Effective Storytelling with Final Cut Pro X v10.0.9.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
Cutaways are great. They add visual interest and spark to your story, and cover…the slew of edits after removing the ums and ahs of someone on camera.…But they'll put the fire out of your story if you let them overpower the…person that's talking, or choose a visual that actually takes you out of the…story all together.…In the Project Library, open the Finessing project.…This is where we left off from the previous movie.…We have cutaways, but some of those cutaways are a little loud and we can't…always hear Paul, who of course is the primary storyteller in these clips.…
Let's listen from the beginning.…(Video Playing) Paul: Here at Thanksgiving Coffee Company …we've learned to focus on the people. …Diana Weynand: When Paul begins talking in the second clip, we can't hear him at all.…Let's zoom into this area so we can see how we can fix this best.…Now it's not objectionable to hear the background sound of a cutaway when no…one else is speaking, but when somebody does start to speak, that's when we…
- Identifying story elements
- Finding the essence of a story
- Importing folders and stills as keyword collections
- Using keywords to make clips accessible
- Prepping clips for editing
- Developing story diversity
- Sculpting the story within the timeline
- Fine-tuning edits
- Organizing separate story segments into independent storylines
- Recording a narration track
- Adding sound effects
- Applying effects to enhance story elements
- Adding freeze frames
Skill Level Intermediate
Premiere Pro CS5.5 New Featureswith David Basulto27m 11s Intermediate
Color Correction in Final Cut Pro Xwith Robbie Carman2h 40m Beginner
1. Defining Your Story
2. Gathering Story Elements
3. Organizing Story Elements
4. Building a Primary Storyline
5. Refining the Story
6. Previsualizing in Final Cut to Help Write Your Story
7. Embellishing Your Story
8. Moving the Story Along
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.