Join Diana Weynand for an in-depth discussion in this video Embellishing the story with cutaways to B-roll footage, part of Effective Storytelling with Final Cut Pro X v10.0.9.
At this stage of your storytelling process, you're well on your way to…constructing a story of interest, a story that has a beginning, middle and end.…Typically, the base of that story is the sound bed, edited from the interview…footage or possibly a narration.…But once you have extracted the ums and ahs to create your story's sound bed,…you are going to need to cover those jarring edit points with a cutaway.…And this is where your B- roll footage will come in handy.…In the Project Library let's open the Cutaways project.…In this project, you'll find some familiar clips of Paul, and at the end of the…project, you will see a group of clips that will be especially familiar since…you worked very hard on them in a previous movie.…
Let's take a listen.…(Video Playing) Paul: If people love their coffee…trees, then the coffee trees are going to be taken care of.…Diana Weynand: So if you'll remember, these cuts were important to help move the story along and…at the time we did them, we knew we were going to have to cover these edit…
- Identifying story elements
- Finding the essence of a story
- Importing folders and stills as keyword collections
- Using keywords to make clips accessible
- Prepping clips for editing
- Developing story diversity
- Sculpting the story within the timeline
- Fine-tuning edits
- Organizing separate story segments into independent storylines
- Recording a narration track
- Adding sound effects
- Applying effects to enhance story elements
- Adding freeze frames
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Defining Your Story
2. Gathering Story Elements
3. Organizing Story Elements
4. Building a Primary Storyline
5. Refining the Story
6. Previsualizing in Final Cut to Help Write Your Story
7. Embellishing Your Story
8. Moving the Story Along
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.