Join Diana Weynand for an in-depth discussion in this video Embellishing the story with cutaways to B-roll footage, part of Final Cut Pro X v10.1.x: Effective Storytelling.
- At this stage of your storytelling process,…you're well on your way to constructing a story of interest,…a story that has a beginning, middle and end.…Typically, the base of that story is the soundbed…edited from the interview footage…or, possibly, a narration.…Once you've extracted the "ums" and "uhs"…to create your story's soundbed,…you're going to need to cover those jarring edit points…with a cutaway.…This is where your B-roll footage will come in handy.…In the project library, let's open the Cutaways project.…
In this project, you'll find some familiar clips of Paul.…At the end of the project, you'll see a group of clips…that will be especially familiar,…since you worked very hard on them in a previous movie.…Let's take a listen.…- If people love their coffee trees,…then the coffee trees are going to be taken care of.…- If you'll remember, these cuts were important…to help move the story along.…At the time we did them, we knew…we were going to have to cover these edit points…with a cutaway because otherwise,…
Note: This course was updated to reflect the changes to Final Cut Pro X v. 10.1.x. Although the course was not re-recorded from scratch, we updated the applicable movies by adding text overlays to guide you through existing changes. We also updated the exercise files to work with the most current version of the software. Please watch the "Understanding this update and using the exercise files" movie to learn exactly what to expect from this updated course. Working with an earlier version of Final Cut Pro X? Watch Effective Storytelling with Final Cut Pro X 10.0.9.
- Identifying story elements
- Finding the essence of a story
- Importing folders and stills as keyword collections
- Using keywords to make clips accessible
- Prepping clips for editing
- Developing story diversity
- Sculpting the story within the timeline
- Fine-tuning edits
- Organizing separate story segments into independent storylines
- Recording a narration track
- Adding sound effects
- Applying effects to enhance story elements
- Adding freeze frames
Skill Level Intermediate
Final Cut Pro X v10.1.x: Narrative Scene Editingwith Abba Shapiro3h 15m Intermediate
1. Defining Your Story
2. Gathering Story Elements
3. Organizing Story Elements
4. Building a Primary Storyline
5. Refining the Story
6. Previsualizing in Final Cut to Help Write Your Story
7. Embellishing Your Story
8. Moving the Story Along
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.