Join Steve Holyhead for an in-depth discussion in this video Editing vertically, part of Migrating from Final Cut Pro 7 to Avid Media Composer 5.5.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
To this point, we are mainly concerned ourselves with the horizontal aspect to…the timeline, putting one clip after another.…Now we're going to turn our attention to the vertical editing, stacking clips…on top of one another.…The more tracks you have in your timeline, the more difficult your sequence…becomes to handle, and that's why most rough cuts try to stick to maybe one or…two tracks of video and two to six tracks of audio.…Once you have the bulk of your story laid out, then there's much greater call…for adding clips to different video tracks, such as the addition of graphics,…filters, and multilayer effects.…
But sometimes even just the storytelling phase requires a little bit more elbow room,…so figuring out how to use multiple tracks in your timeline is a very useful skill set.…Here I've got a timeline opened called Go Vertical.…It has a single video track with a couple of clips on it and a couple of audio tracks.…If I want to add more video tracks to my sequence, Command+Y. I am going to…
- Working with clips, bins, folders and the project window
- Customizing user settings and keyboard layout
- Importing video, audio, and graphics
- Accessing clips from other projects
- Comparing backup structure
- Organizing media and project assets
- Understanding media resolution and locations
- Editing in the timeline
- Mixing audio
- Compositing with keyframes
- Creating titles
- Color correcting footage
- Preparing and outputting master sequences
Skill Level Beginner
1. Comparing Interface and Application Basics
2. Understanding Media, Projects, and Levels of Organization
Comparing backup structure9m 51s
3. Taking Control of Media Composer
4. Linking, Importing, and Managing Media
5. Organizing, Viewing, Logging, and Searching
6. Understanding the Basics of Editing
7. Editing in the Timeline
8. Understanding Audio
9. Adding Effects and Finishing
10. Delivering Masters for Web, DVD, and More
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.