Want to add global color correction effects to your video when you export it from Apple Compressor? There are Apple Compressor settings that allow you to do things like increase the brightness of the export. Author Nick Harauz will walk you through how to apply and modify color correction effects when exporting a video from Compressor.
- Compressor gives you the ability to add color correction effects to your video on export. This could be useful if you want to up the brightness of the video because you know your client might be viewing it on a dark monitor. Let's see how we can modify this on a compressor setting. I'm here in compressor with my 3.5 compressor project. And I went ahead over and add a setting. So let's go to the video sharing services. Apply a HD 720p setting, so with the setting on the clip, it's properties load up here on the side.
Let's go to the video tab, and one thing we haven't seen at the very bottom. Is your ability to add a video effect. From this list comes a ton of different corrections that you can apply. And some of them are based on color corrections. So you could perform let's say a fade in and fade out to your video. Just to have this on all, to do this here instead of inside your project. We could also do some noise removal, which is really handy. As well as some color correction, on the overall video. Such as color correction of mid-tones, I also from the add video effect here you can see here the color correct mid-tones.
This gives you a split screen by the way of your video and the adjustment that you make. So let me just make something here where we can see the adjustment now that I made to the video. It's a little bit harsh of course, but notice that I can make that change. And make a color correction to a particular video channel. And see that update. Another thing that I sometimes like to do on export that I should mention on color correction besides color correction of mid-tones. Is to just add a little bit of brightness , so I'm gonna add a brightness contrast.
And the reason that I add this here is that sometimes a client will tell me the video that they see is not bright and they're watching it on let's say on an older PC where it doesn't appear to be as bright. So I could just drag this brightness slider and brighten my video, just a little bit for them. Right, I'll just take those settings here. Of course you can actually click them and turn them on and off these effects. And if I wanted to, I could take this preset that I've now set up with two video effects, and save it into my custom category so I don't have to add those color correction effects again.
Really cool workflow, so notice that you have some color correction effects available on your video. Could add things such as brightness or being able to adjust the mid-tones of your video. Apply it to your settings, and then export it out from compressor.
- Understanding the Compressor interface
- Using and modifying Compressor templates
- Setting up Compressor presets
- Transcoding and encoding with Compressor and Final Cut Pro
- Adding compression markers
- Adding watermarks and timecodes
- Learning how to use droplets