Special effects makeup is the process in filmmaking of creating wounds, marks, or other components. These makeup elements can be created simply with standard beauty makeup, or they can be created using prosthetic pieces, and anything in between. It is important when creating makeup for movie and film production that tests are performed before coming to set.
- Ladies and gentleman, this pink-haired beauty…is Heather Perkins, my wife and co-producer…and co-writer of The Assurance,…as well as co-creater of Assurance, starring Natty Perkins.…Heather is also a great special effects…makeup artist, having helped Bitsy Rini…do my big makeup in another short film we did…called Empathy for the Devil.…On The Assurance, she single-handedly did…all the special effects makeup on the…boy in the sick scene, for which she also played…the pregnant woman.…- Special effects makeup is really fun,…and more accessible than you might think.…Before we look at applying makeup,…let's talk about the supplies we use to create our looks.…
We obtained ours from a local makeup and costume store.…You could also find them on Amazon.…We used Liquid Latex, Burn, Scar and Wound Effect,…although plain old gelatin would work the same,…a variety of cream paints, we used primarily Ben Nye,…pancake makeup, again, we used Ben Nye,…setting powder, again, we used Ben Nye,…Ben Nye Neutral Set, and to apply our makeup,…
Find the rest of the courses in the series—on everything from script writing to directing—on Chad's author page.
- Understanding the role of different crew members
- Sending out call sheets
- Using a slate
- Keeping continuity with a script supervisor and production photographer
- Keeping the crew fed, happy, and safe
- Rescheduling shoots
- Dealing with wardrobe for a large cast
- Using special effects makeup
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 05 Directingwith Chad Perkins2h 27m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 03 Pre-Productionwith Chad Perkins2h 13m Intermediate
Video Foundations: Cameras and Shootingwith Anthony Q. Artis2h 58m Intermediate
"The Assurance"7m 43s
1. Common Crew Members
2. Film Production Basics
4. Keeping the Crew Happy
5. Our Big Resets
6. Working with Props
7. Preparing to Shoot
8. Special Effects Makeup
Final thoughts1m 33s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.