A video overview of this online course of filmmaking tutorials. A look at what it's like to work on a film set as we study film production. We'll look at the role of the assistant director, directors of photography, gaffer, grips, production designer, sound mixer, script supervisor, best boy, and other crew positions do on a movie set.
- In this series, we're going to look at working on a film set. We'll look at the key crew members and what they do as well onset etiquette. Being on a film set is a weird thing. There are all kinds of random protocols and names for things, but these things, that have been established for decades is the best way to get things the job done. Now, aside from embarrassing yourself by not knowing the ropes, knowing the rules of how to work onset can help keep you safe and keep your production running smoothly, on time and on budget. And we'll also look at the challenges we had with wardrobe, makeup, props, including how we made these awesome torches.
And we'll also bring in Heather Perkins, my beautiful wife, to explain how she created the special-effects makeup used in the film, and she'll also show you how you can create similar looks on a budget with regular household items. This training series is going to be even more fun than it sounds, so let's get to it.
Find the rest of the courses in the series—on everything from script writing to directing—on Chad's author page.
- Understanding the role of different crew members
- Sending out call sheets
- Using a slate
- Keeping continuity with a script supervisor and production photographer
- Keeping the crew fed, happy, and safe
- Rescheduling shoots
- Dealing with wardrobe for a large cast
- Using special effects makeup
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Creating a Short Film: 05 Directingwith Chad Perkins2h 27m Appropriate for all
Creating a Short Film: 03 Pre-Productionwith Chad Perkins2h 13m Appropriate for all
Foundations of Video: Cameras and Shootingwith Anthony Q. Artis2h 58m Appropriate for all
Up and Running with DSLR Filmmakingwith Chad Perkins1h 10m Appropriate for all
"The Assurance"7m 43s
1. Common Crew Members
2. Film Production Basics
4. Keeping the Crew Happy
5. Our Big Resets
6. Working with Props
7. Preparing to Shoot
8. Special Effects Makeup
Final thoughts1m 33s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.