Props are an important part of filmmaking. Props is short for property, and refers to items owned by or belonging to a character in a film. Often on film sets, one of the members of the film crew will fill a position called propmaster. Propmasters on a film set are responsible for creating props or bringing them to set, and keeping them organized on set
- In this chapter we're going to look at props.…But what exactly is a prop?…A prop is something that a character interacts with.…Think of it as prop being short for property,…like it's something that belongs to a character.…Props often get mistaken for set dressing.…Set dressing as we'll look at in depth in the next chapter,…is the decoration of the set.…But as soon as a character holds something,…even if it was a piece of the set,…it becomes a prop.…For example, you see this torch right here?…No one ever touches it.…That's set dressing.…
See this torch?…This is in the hands of MMar'kalen,…so this one is a prop.…Pieces of wardrobe can also be…mistaken for props and vice versa.…Ta'ani's knapsack seems like wardrobe…because Korda'a wears it almost the entire film,…but at one point, Ta'ani gives it to Korda'a,…though that wasn't clear in the file at the end of the film.…Still, that's the way we filmed it,…so because that transfer of the knapsack was in the script,…the knapsack was a prop,…even though it was usually worn.…
Find the rest of the courses in the series—on everything from script writing to directing—on Chad's author page.
- Understanding the role of different crew members
- Sending out call sheets
- Using a slate
- Keeping continuity with a script supervisor and production photographer
- Keeping the crew fed, happy, and safe
- Rescheduling shoots
- Dealing with wardrobe for a large cast
- Using special effects makeup
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 05 Directingwith Chad Perkins2h 27m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 03 Pre-Productionwith Chad Perkins2h 13m Intermediate
Video Foundations: Cameras and Shootingwith Anthony Q. Artis2h 58m Intermediate
"The Assurance"7m 43s
1. Common Crew Members
2. Film Production Basics
4. Keeping the Crew Happy
5. Our Big Resets
6. Working with Props
7. Preparing to Shoot
8. Special Effects Makeup
Final thoughts1m 33s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.