A production photographer is a crew member on a film set that takes pictures of the set, the crew working, and the cast while they are in full costume and makeup. These images can be used by the film production for promotional materials, posters, DVD covers and so forth. Production photography can also be helpful for maintaining continuity.
- One of the jobs I don't see very often…on smaller sets for some reason…is that of production photographer.…I don't get it, I think production…photographers are really helpful.…My sister, Angela McInroe, and her husband, Mac McInroe,…are very talented and accomplished photographers.…And they volunteered to do our production photography.…So what do production photographers do exactly?…Well, of course, they take pictures of the set…and people hanging out.…It's always fun to document this process…and to journal the singular experience of making a movie,…but it's far more than that.…As we talked about in the last movie,…taking pictures on set can be instrumental…in maintaining continuity if something needs…to be shot again or if you need to recreate a shot.…
Production photos can also capture the camera…and lighting setups, and that alone could be really helpful…for lots of stuff, including visual effects.…Another thing that production photos…could really help with is the marketing of the film.…Unless you have the highest-quality digital cameras…
Find the rest of the courses in the series—on everything from script writing to directing—on Chad's author page.
- Understanding the role of different crew members
- Sending out call sheets
- Using a slate
- Keeping continuity with a script supervisor and production photographer
- Keeping the crew fed, happy, and safe
- Rescheduling shoots
- Dealing with wardrobe for a large cast
- Using special effects makeup
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 05 Directingwith Chad Perkins2h 27m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 03 Pre-Productionwith Chad Perkins2h 13m Intermediate
Video Foundations: Cameras and Shootingwith Anthony Q. Artis2h 58m Intermediate
"The Assurance"7m 43s
1. Common Crew Members
2. Film Production Basics
4. Keeping the Crew Happy
5. Our Big Resets
6. Working with Props
7. Preparing to Shoot
8. Special Effects Makeup
Final thoughts1m 33s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.