The sound mixer is the person in film production that records the sound on set. This is usually done with a combination of a boom mic on a boom pole and well-concealed lavalier microphones. The sound mixer is also referred to as the sound recordist or boom operator. Sound mixers monitor the audio on the film set, and notify the director of the movie if something amiss was heard.
- The sound mixer is another one of the most indispensable…and important people on set.…This is the person that records the sound.…Sometimes this is also called the sound recordist…or a boom operator, though sound mixer is more common.…Our sound mixer was Josh Svare, and he did a great job.…You know on a film set, you have multiple people…in charge of what you see.…You have an entire lighting department, you have…a camera department, wardrobe, makeup, hair, set design,…and so on, but you might only have a single person…in charge of capturing what is heard.…
This often gives less experienced filmmakers the idea…audio is somehow less important, but it's not.…And it's great to have a pro like Josh on set…to remind of us just how important it is.…There would be several times during productions…when we would be behind schedule, and there were…unexpected audio issues all over the place.…I mean, we've shot in the same city as a popular…municipal airport, which is next door…to an airplane factory, which is just down the street…
Find the rest of the courses in the series—on everything from script writing to directing—on Chad's author page.
- Understanding the role of different crew members
- Sending out call sheets
- Using a slate
- Keeping continuity with a script supervisor and production photographer
- Keeping the crew fed, happy, and safe
- Rescheduling shoots
- Dealing with wardrobe for a large cast
- Using special effects makeup
Skill Level Appropriate for all
"The Assurance"7m 43s
1. Common Crew Members
2. Film Production Basics
4. Keeping the Crew Happy
5. Our Big Resets
6. Working with Props
7. Preparing to Shoot
8. Special Effects Makeup
Final thoughts1m 33s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.