A look at the other next course in the Creating a Short Film training series, course number 7, which is about cinematography—lighting and camera work in film and video production. Framing and composition of shots, lighting placement, camera settings, and lens choices—all of these things significantly contribute to the production value of a movie.
- Now that we've learned about all the players…and the basic mechanics of working on set,…in the next training series…we're going to take an in-depth look at cinematography.…This is the part of the process…that takes the longest on a film set,…and one of the biggest things…that separates amateur productions from professional ones.…Now I made a lot of bad choices,…but I was also really happy with…some of the shots that we got.…We'll look at the set-up behind the scenes,…and study why they turned out as well as they did.…Perhaps more importantly,…we'll look at things I could've done better, and why.…
We'll also learn a bunch more terminology…and etiquette that pertains more specifically…to cameras and lighting.…Cinematography is what makes regular old real life…look like a movie.…You definitely don't want to miss it.…
Find the rest of the courses in the series—on everything from script writing to directing—on Chad's author page.
- Understanding the role of different crew members
- Sending out call sheets
- Using a slate
- Keeping continuity with a script supervisor and production photographer
- Keeping the crew fed, happy, and safe
- Rescheduling shoots
- Dealing with wardrobe for a large cast
- Using special effects makeup
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 05 Directingwith Chad Perkins2h 27m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 03 Pre-Productionwith Chad Perkins2h 13m Intermediate
Video Foundations: Cameras and Shootingwith Anthony Q. Artis2h 58m Intermediate
"The Assurance"7m 43s
1. Common Crew Members
2. Film Production Basics
4. Keeping the Crew Happy
5. Our Big Resets
6. Working with Props
7. Preparing to Shoot
8. Special Effects Makeup
Final thoughts1m 33s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.