Craft services refers to an area on a film set on a movie production where snacks, beverages, and coffee are served to the film crew. Craft services can also refer to the person on a movie crew that is responsible for keeping craft services stocked with food and beverages for the cast and crew. Craft services are an expected practice in filmmaking.
- Craft Services are a beloved and expected part…of every film set, regardless of budget.…Craft Services refers to an area…with snacks, drinks, and coffee on set.…Someone gets hungry or thirsty or needs a break,…Craft Services, usually called "Crafty"…is the first thing they'll be looking for.…One note about coffee, it's expected.…I don't drink coffee, so sometimes I don't think about it.…Once I produced a small short film and didn't get coffee,…even though I did provide the crew…a luxurious spread of fruits and veggies,…cheeses and meats, the whole bit.…But it didn't matter.…There was no coffee,…and I thought I was going to get stabbed over it (laughs).…
On "The Assurance", Heather got the crew…fresh and hot Starbucks every morning,…and then again later in the afternoon once we ran low.…We also brought toasters and bread,…peanut butter and jelly, bagels, and so forth.…Now, that's not for meals mind you,…that's just for snacks in between meals.…Also, remember that not everyone enjoys snacking…on cheap and unhealthy options, like donuts and candy.…
Find the rest of the courses in the series—on everything from script writing to directing—on Chad's author page.
- Understanding the role of different crew members
- Sending out call sheets
- Using a slate
- Keeping continuity with a script supervisor and production photographer
- Keeping the crew fed, happy, and safe
- Rescheduling shoots
- Dealing with wardrobe for a large cast
- Using special effects makeup
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 05 Directingwith Chad Perkins2h 27m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 03 Pre-Productionwith Chad Perkins2h 13m Intermediate
Video Foundations: Cameras and Shootingwith Anthony Q. Artis2h 58m Intermediate
"The Assurance"7m 43s
1. Common Crew Members
2. Film Production Basics
4. Keeping the Crew Happy
5. Our Big Resets
6. Working with Props
7. Preparing to Shoot
8. Special Effects Makeup
Final thoughts1m 33s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.