A grip on a film set helps move things around. Grips are a key part of the G & E department or grip and electric department. The head of the grip department is called the key grip. A grip on a film crew will usually assist the camera and lighting departments in video production. Grips might push a dolly on a track, or put a light on a c-stand.
- Along with the gaffer, grips are part of the G and E,…or Grip and Electric department.…Mostly the grips move stuff.…They also frequently help with lighting,…or the camera department as the need arises.…For example, they might push the camera on a dolly,…or they might assist the gaffer in setting up a light,…or putting dirt on it.…Dirt, by the way, is the nickname…for a sandbag on a film set.…The head of the grip department…is called the key grip,…which was Matt Harrison in our case.…He was our only grip on The Assurance,…so we gave him the title of key grip.…At one point, we realized that…we needed help with the set dressing.…
Now that's not something usually a grip would help with,…but we were short-staffed.…So Matt took the lead and got everything fixed up.…Again, having a flexible crew with a great attitude…is so helpful for small productions like this.…
Find the rest of the courses in the series—on everything from script writing to directing—on Chad's author page.
- Understanding the role of different crew members
- Sending out call sheets
- Using a slate
- Keeping continuity with a script supervisor and production photographer
- Keeping the crew fed, happy, and safe
- Rescheduling shoots
- Dealing with wardrobe for a large cast
- Using special effects makeup
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 05 Directingwith Chad Perkins2h 27m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 03 Pre-Productionwith Chad Perkins2h 13m Intermediate
Video Foundations: Cameras and Shootingwith Anthony Q. Artis2h 58m Intermediate
"The Assurance"7m 43s
1. Common Crew Members
2. Film Production Basics
4. Keeping the Crew Happy
5. Our Big Resets
6. Working with Props
7. Preparing to Shoot
8. Special Effects Makeup
Final thoughts1m 33s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.