The deathly pallor created with special effects makeup on the fantasy short film "The Assurance" consisted of applying a basic pale makeup powder to the face of the talent. This creates the appearance of a sickness on the faces of actors. Dark makeup was also used to create bags under the eyes to enhance the effect.
- Our first step in the makeup process…was to create the illusion of a deathly pallor…on this very healthy boy.…To do this, we needed to remove the healthy, rosy glow…from his skin and lips.…First we applied a base layer of pancake makeup.…We use Ben Nye here.…Pancake makeup does a great job of covering up the pinks…and reds on the face and creating a uniform pale base.…He still isn't looking as sickly as we wanted him to…so we added a thin layer of white cream makeup…to his face and lips.…When applying makeup, you can use makeup sponges or brushes…or your can jump right in and use your fingers.…
I once read that out fingers are the best blending tools…around when it comes to makeup.…Whatever you use though, you want to remember…to be sensitive and aware of your talent's comfort.…It helps to talk to them and explain to them…what you're doing as you do it.…Be particularly gentle around the eyes.…Nothing is more irritating and distracting…than a fleck of something in your eye.…And applying makeup on or around the eye without warning…
Find the rest of the courses in the series—on everything from script writing to directing—on Chad's author page.
- Understanding the role of different crew members
- Sending out call sheets
- Using a slate
- Keeping continuity with a script supervisor and production photographer
- Keeping the crew fed, happy, and safe
- Rescheduling shoots
- Dealing with wardrobe for a large cast
- Using special effects makeup
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Creating a Short Film: 05 Directingwith Chad Perkins2h 27m Appropriate for all
Creating a Short Film: 03 Pre-Productionwith Chad Perkins2h 13m Appropriate for all
Video Foundations: Cameras and Shootingwith Anthony Q. Artis2h 58m Appropriate for all
"The Assurance"7m 43s
1. Common Crew Members
2. Film Production Basics
4. Keeping the Crew Happy
5. Our Big Resets
6. Working with Props
7. Preparing to Shoot
8. Special Effects Makeup
Final thoughts1m 33s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.