The cinematographer or director of photography is the person on a film set responsible for the overall look of the movie. The DP is often referred to as the DoP outside of the US. The cinematographer on a film crew works with the film director and directs the lighting, camera settings, camera movement, framing and composition, and the visual style of the film.
- Another one of the most essential…and important people in a film set is the cinematographer.…This position is also called the Director of Photography,…or DP, for short, or sometimes DOP,…outside of the United States.…This is the person in charge of the look of the movie…and everything we see on screen.…They direct the camera settings,…the camera movement, the lighting,…the ways shots of framed, and anything else…in front of the lens.…You'll have the wardrobe person wants to have an actor…in a certain shirt, the DP can veto that action…because it doesn't fit in the overall visual scheme,…or because it doesn't look good on camera.…Obviously these choices are done in conjunction…with the Director who has the final say…over all creative choices,…but the DP usually works with the Director,…in pre-production, to plan the color scheme…and the visual style for the film.…
On the Assurance, I had a phenomenal DP booked…and then two weeks before production started he quit.…This DP was going to get his own Gaffer,…bring all of his own gear,…
Find the rest of the courses in the series—on everything from script writing to directing—on Chad's author page.
- Understanding the role of different crew members
- Sending out call sheets
- Using a slate
- Keeping continuity with a script supervisor and production photographer
- Keeping the crew fed, happy, and safe
- Rescheduling shoots
- Dealing with wardrobe for a large cast
- Using special effects makeup
Skill Level Appropriate for all
"The Assurance"7m 43s
1. Common Crew Members
2. Film Production Basics
4. Keeping the Crew Happy
5. Our Big Resets
6. Working with Props
7. Preparing to Shoot
8. Special Effects Makeup
Final thoughts1m 33s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.