Because the fantasy film The Assurance was an independent short film, the cast and crew suffered several issues while trying to film the night shoot. Night shoots on film productions can be very challenging and create several issues. Significantly more power and crew are needed for all of the extra lights needed to film at night. And all of this takes additional time during filmmaking.
- Our second day of production on The Assurance,…was really long and really cold.…At the end of that day, we had a night shoot.…And night shoots are always rough anyway.…Setting up all the lighting that you need is already tough,…but add to that how tired and cold everyone was,…it makes for a difficult shoot.…After getting a few shots,…I realized that we wouldn't be able to…get the performances that we needed from our talent.…It was just too late and too cold for our poor actresses.…They'd had a huge day,…and we needed them well rested for the next day.…So I talked to Gevin, our first AD, about it,…and we decided right then it would…just be best to call it a night,…and shoot the scene on a different day.…
Gevin... - Yes, sir.…Can I talk to you…for a second please? - Absolutely.…I'm thinking that we're going to need to...…Rent this location again in a couple months when its warm,…and get a skeleton crew and come back and do it again…because this is just unusable.…- [Gevin] You know what, I'm on your side.…We went through all this effort.…
Find the rest of the courses in the series—on everything from script writing to directing—on Chad's author page.
- Understanding the role of different crew members
- Sending out call sheets
- Using a slate
- Keeping continuity with a script supervisor and production photographer
- Keeping the crew fed, happy, and safe
- Rescheduling shoots
- Dealing with wardrobe for a large cast
- Using special effects makeup
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Creating a Short Film: 05 Directingwith Chad Perkins2h 27m Appropriate for all
Creating a Short Film: 03 Pre-Productionwith Chad Perkins2h 13m Appropriate for all
Video Foundations: Cameras and Shootingwith Anthony Q. Artis2h 58m Appropriate for all
"The Assurance"7m 43s
1. Common Crew Members
2. Film Production Basics
4. Keeping the Crew Happy
5. Our Big Resets
6. Working with Props
7. Preparing to Shoot
8. Special Effects Makeup
Final thoughts1m 33s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.