A common prop used in movies and film is a torch. Torches can look beautiful on camera and create interesting textures and patterns, especially when combined with bokeh blur. Using a torch on bigger film productions is usually done by a special effects supervisor so that cast and crew are safe. Torches are made with sticks, fuel, and fabric.
- For the night scene in the Assurance,…we needed something to motivate the warm lighting…that comes from this side of the scene.…So we decided to use torches.…Before the Assurance I'd never made torches.…I didn't know anything about them at all.…So I did some research and put together…a little recipe of how to make them…after doing some homework.…Now before you actually make a torch,…please watch the next tutorial about safety…and remember that fire can kill you…and destroy everything you love.…So please be careful and do this at your own risk.…Basically there are three components of a torch,…a piece of wood, a fuel,…and something to soak up the fuel,…usually some type of fabric.…
For the sticks, we actually got permission…from our location to take all the wood we needed…from this really huge pile.…That was amazing.…'Cause it's actually a lot harder…to find the perfect torch stick than you might think.…For the fuel, we tried a few different things…and had success with both lamp oil and tiki torch fuel.…For the fabric, you really need to be careful.…
Find the rest of the courses in the series—on everything from script writing to directing—on Chad's author page.
- Understanding the role of different crew members
- Sending out call sheets
- Using a slate
- Keeping continuity with a script supervisor and production photographer
- Keeping the crew fed, happy, and safe
- Rescheduling shoots
- Dealing with wardrobe for a large cast
- Using special effects makeup
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Creating a Short Film: 05 Directingwith Chad Perkins2h 27m Appropriate for all
Creating a Short Film: 03 Pre-Productionwith Chad Perkins2h 13m Appropriate for all
Video Foundations: Cameras and Shootingwith Anthony Q. Artis2h 58m Appropriate for all
"The Assurance"7m 43s
1. Common Crew Members
2. Film Production Basics
4. Keeping the Crew Happy
5. Our Big Resets
6. Working with Props
7. Preparing to Shoot
8. Special Effects Makeup
Final thoughts1m 33s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.