"The Assurance," a dark fantasy film by author Chad Perkins. "The Assurance" is a short film, and the movie used as the basis for the training courses on making a short movie, from scratch, start to finish. The film stars Eva Jane, Andrew Tribolini, William Bradt, Will Rose, and Natty Perkins.
(slow music) - [Korda'a] It's so hard to believe.
I keep dreaming that she's here with me and we can go home. The people of my world are sick, dying. I can never go home. I am alone. My sister was the only family I've ever known and I miss her. She left me here in the wilderness. I know her mission is important but I still don't understand it.
I always knew my sister would do something great. I didn't know what it was, but she did, and that weighed heavily on her. Ta'ani kept her secrets till the end. All I knew was that she had more hope than most. She wanted that for me, too. - Recite the promo. (sighs) - Through forest deep and desert long, I will be brave, I will be strong.
I did not share her faith. A great evil has come to this world. They say it is a god that has rebelled and fallen, and that his presence creates the terrible plague that is destroying our people. - Draw the Assurance. - [Korda'a] Some find hope in an ancient drawing. They think it's a sign from the gods that we will be saved. - Draw the Assurance every day. - [Korda'a] Ta'ani believed, she had me study it and draw it over and over.
I was not a good student. I suppose she was preparing me to learn who she really was. And why she had to leave. I didn't understand why the Assurance was so important. But some did. - What do you see? - [Korda'a] The few that are left gather often to learn and to look forward to a brighter day. Though even the believers doubt they will be around to see it.
One day, I was exposed and everything changed. We left our home. Went out into the wilderness and Ta'ani finally taught me about her mission. - Korda'a there's a lot I need to tell you. The gods have blessed our family, we can do great things. (shushing) (sizzling) Everyone here is dying.
(dramatic music) (explosion) - [Korda'a] I had so many questions but the next day she was gone. Now I think I understand. She taught me who she was, who I am, and to believe.
The people of my world are dying but they are not dead. Ta'ani's mission was to send me to save them. And I intend to. - If others knew you existed, our lives would never be the same. - A child will come to save us.
- Impossible. - Korda'a, you've been exposed. They know who you are, the fanatics will come after us. We're not safe here. We must leave. Korda'a, it's time for you to take your journey. - Why, aren't you coming? - You know what to do. - You're the chosen one. - Korda'a, you are the Assurance. You can save us all, it was always you.
- How do I know where to go? - Though forest deep and desert long. - I will be brave. I will be strong. (wind blowing) (dramatic music) (rocks cracking) (uplifting music)
Find the rest of the courses in the series—on everything from script writing to directing—on Chad's author page.
- Understanding the role of different crew members
- Sending out call sheets
- Using a slate
- Keeping continuity with a script supervisor and production photographer
- Keeping the crew fed, happy, and safe
- Rescheduling shoots
- Dealing with wardrobe for a large cast
- Using special effects makeup