The Assurance, a dark fantasy film by author Chad Perkins. The Assurance is a short film, and the movie used as the basis for the training courses on making a short movie, from scratch, start to finish. The film stars Eva Jane, Andrew Tribolini, William Bradt, Will Rose, and Natty Perkins.
(upbeat music) (low-key music) - [Voiceover] It's so hard to believe.
I keep dreaming that she's here with me, and we can go home. The people of my world are sick, dying. I can never go home. I am alone. My sister was the only family I've ever known. And, I miss her. She left me here in the wilderness. I know her mission is important.
But I still don't understand it. I always knew my sister would do something great. I didn't know what it was. But she did. And that weighed heavily on her. Ta'ani kept her secrets til the end. All I knew was that she had more hope than most. She wanted that for me, too. - Recite the poem.
- Through forest deep and desert long, I will be brave, I will be strong. - [Voiceover] I did not share her faith. A great evil has come to this world. They say it is a God that has rebelled and fallen. And that his presence creates the terrible plague that is destroying our people. - Draw the assurance. - [Voiceover] Some find hope in an ancient drawing. They think it's a sign from the Gods that we will be saved.
- Draw the assurance everyday. - [Voiceover] Ta'ani believed. She had me study it and draw it over and over. I was not a good student. I suppose she was preparing me to learn who she really was. And why she had to leave. I didn't understand why the assurance was so important. But some did.
- What do you see? - [Voiceover] The few that are left gather often to learn and to look forward to a brighter day. Though even the believers doubt they will be around to see it. One day, I was exposed. And everything changed. We left our home. Went out into the wilderness. And Ta'ani finally taught me about her mission.
- Korda'a, there's a lot I need to tell you. The gods have blessed our family. We can do great things. Shh. Cover your ears child.
- [Voiceover] I had so many questions. But the next day, she was gone. Now I think I understand. She taught me who she was. Who I am. And to believe. The people of my world are dying. But they are not dead. Ta'ani's mission was to send me to save them.
And I intend to. - If others knew you existed, our lives would never be the same. - A child will come to save us. - (mumbles incoherently) - Impossible.
- Korda'a you've been exposed. They know who you are. The fanatics will come after us. We're not safe here. We must leave. Korda'a, it's time for you to take your journey. - Why? Aren't you coming? - You know what to do. - You're the chosen one. - Korda'a, you are the assurance. You can save us all. It was always you.
- How do I know where to go? - Through forest deep and desert long. - I will be brave. I will be strong.
Watch and learn how to shoot a script, using visual motifs, atmospherics, framing, and different types of shots to tell the film's story. Find out how to give direction to your crew and be a good leader, while staying on budget and on schedule. Plus, get tips to improve shots during retakes or in post, and to become a better director, storyteller, and communicator.
Note: Like the rest of the Creating a Short Film series, this course was shot during the production of The Assurance. It offers a unique window into the actual struggles and challenges filmmakers have to overcome to get films made. Find the rest of the courses in the series on Chad's author page.
- What a director does
- Interpreting the script
- Scouting locations
- Choosing the tone and theme of the film
- Using motifs
- Shaping the story through visuals
- Being a good leader on set
- Respecting budgets and schedules
- Planning shots
- Moving the camera: on a tripod or dolly or in handheld shots
- Using rolling takes
- Framing shots
- Adding atmospherics
- Directing in post-production
- Becoming a better director