Wounds can be created with special effects makeup for independent film productions. Liquid latex is especially helpful for creating wounds. Liquid latex is applied to the face of actors and allowed to dry, and then peeled to simulate the appearance of wounds. Note that many people are allergic to liquid latex, so be sure to perform tests on talent before production begins.
- Before applying any makeup,…Chad and I spent a lot of time…talking about what this illness was,…and what it would look like.…We decided that we wanted this boy…to look almost dried up.…We wanted chapped, wrinkled skin…that would make you thirsty just looking at it.…We also wanted some rashes and peeling wounds.…It's important to have a clear idea…of what you want to achieve…before you start to actually apply any makeup.…It's equally important to make sure…that your vision for the project is in harmony…with the director's vision for the project.…We use Liquid Latex to create both…the wrinkled, chapped skin,…and the peeling wounds.…
Same product, different application.…For the chapped skin, we applied thin layers…of Liquid Latex with a stippling brush…over the majority of his face,…concentrating on areas that would naturally chap and crack,…such as the corners of his mouth and nose.…As the Liquid Latex dried,…it created really natural looking wrinkles and cracks.…To make the peeling wounds,…we picked a few spots to feature larger wounds,…
Find the rest of the courses in the series—on everything from script writing to directing—on Chad's author page.
- Understanding the role of different crew members
- Sending out call sheets
- Using a slate
- Keeping continuity with a script supervisor and production photographer
- Keeping the crew fed, happy, and safe
- Rescheduling shoots
- Dealing with wardrobe for a large cast
- Using special effects makeup
Skill Level Appropriate for all
"The Assurance"7m 43s
1. Common Crew Members
2. Film Production Basics
4. Keeping the Crew Happy
5. Our Big Resets
6. Working with Props
7. Preparing to Shoot
8. Special Effects Makeup
Final thoughts1m 33s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.