A look at the props used in the independent fantasy short film The Assurance. Where do you find props for films? What are different types of movie props? Props that have lots of detail and will be seen up close by the camera are called hero props. Stunt props are props that are safer, or that have less detail than hero props.
- For The Assurance, we used quite a few props overall.…But we didn't use too many props on any given day.…So I just made a rudimentary reminder list for each day,…so I remembered which props to bring with me to set.…So what were the props we used on The Assurance,…and where did we get them?…We used a sword, which I actually own,…because I'm enough of a nerd…to actually own swords. (chuckles)…The one that we used is referred to as a "hero" prop,…because it's an actual metal sword.…It has a lot of detail, and would look great…in a close-up.…But, if we needed our actors swinging it around…next to other actors or fighting with it,…we would never use an actual metal sword for that.…
It would more likely be made out of foam or…something light and soft, so in case another actor…got bonked with it or whatever,…it wouldn't do any damage.…Or if we needed extras in the background,…holding many swords, it would be way too expensive…to give them each real, high-quality swords…that we would never even see up close.…Safer, or less detailed, props that won't be seen up close…
Find the rest of the courses in the series—on everything from script writing to directing—on Chad's author page.
- Understanding the role of different crew members
- Sending out call sheets
- Using a slate
- Keeping continuity with a script supervisor and production photographer
- Keeping the crew fed, happy, and safe
- Rescheduling shoots
- Dealing with wardrobe for a large cast
- Using special effects makeup
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 05 Directingwith Chad Perkins2h 27m Intermediate
Creating a Short Film: 03 Pre-Productionwith Chad Perkins2h 13m Intermediate
Video Foundations: Cameras and Shootingwith Anthony Q. Artis2h 58m Intermediate
"The Assurance"7m 43s
1. Common Crew Members
2. Film Production Basics
4. Keeping the Crew Happy
5. Our Big Resets
6. Working with Props
7. Preparing to Shoot
8. Special Effects Makeup
Final thoughts1m 33s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.