Join Sean Colins for an in-depth discussion in this video The history of Apple's VPP, part 1, part of Foundations of Mobile Device Management.
- [Narrator] The Volume Purchase Program from Apple…was designed to allow organizations…to purchase large quantities of applications…to be deployed to devices within an organization.…But that is not the way things always worked.…Long ago, organizations had to use…the iPhone configuration utility or iTunes…to do things like updating operating systems…for iOS devices.…To purchase an application…and put it on as many devices as needed,…required iTunes and especially in the early days…of iPad deployment,…you literally couldn't buy…and distribute apps in a fair way…that ensured the developer earned what they should…for the number of devices…on which their app was installed.…
Before the Volume Purchase Program,…organizations really had no choice…but to under-purchase applications.…By purchasing an application once…and then using iTunes…and a single organization-wide Apple ID,…they would place the app on as many devices as needed.…That was early in the evolution of iOS and the iPad,…and it was certainly not the way…that anyone wanted to deploy applications to devices.…
Dig into how MDM works on company-owned devices and in one-to-one, BYOD, and shared models. Learn how to enroll devices and manage profiles, and deploy applications to Apple, Android, and Windows devices without user involvement. Explore "over the air" management, security and control best practices, and storage planning. Sean also describes how to remotely wipe and unlock mobile devices, and set important restrictions. Finally, Sean will preview a number of the MDM vendors, including ZuluDesk and AirWatch, so you can choose the right solution for your organization.
- Introducing MDM principles
- Device storage needs
- Device control and unlocking
- Device supervision
- Using MDM to enhance security
- Working with the Apple Volume Purchase Program
- Using apps on Windows devices
- Deploying MDM on Google platforms
- Shopping for an MDM vendor
Skill Level Beginner
1. MDM Principles
2. Device Management Capabilities
3. Use MDM to Enhance Security
4. Application Purchase and Deployment
Apps on Windows mobile1m 43s
5. Shop for an MDM Vendor
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.