Join Sean Colins for an in-depth discussion in this video Why your organization needs MDM, part of Learning Mobile Device Management.
- [Instructor] Mobile device management, as we've discussed already, obviously gives an organization an enormous amount of power over the devices that are granted access to the resources. Why do you need mobile device management? Well, one need look no further than recent news to find very good reasons for any sized organization to deploy mobile device management on all of the devices owned by the organization, and perhaps even all personally owned devices that are allowed access to the company's resources. In recent months and years, many organizations have been caught unprepared when a device goes missing or an employee goes missing and the device is left behind with valuable data that the organization or law enforcement needs.
But if the organization has not deployed a mobile device management solution to the device, management options are severely limited. Many lawsuits and other troubles could easily be avoided by first deploying a mobile device management solution to control those devices that have access to your organization's systems. With mobile device management, you can centrally manage all of the devices that connect to or are part of your organization. You can send the configuration of an email account to a user.
An IT department can provide a management profile that allows devices on the WiFi without any password or network configuration on the device by the user. Should a device ever be lost or stolen, the MDM administrator can lock that device down so no private data is compromised. Similarly, with many MDM solutions, that administrator can also see the last place that device was located, aiding in recovery of the device. In the event of criminal activity that involves an enrolled device, law enforcement can use mobile device management to recover sensitive data that can help with solving that crime.
So why do you need mobile device management? The better question may be, why would you ever think that your organization does not need mobile device management? If you are at all concerned about the security of your files, the ease of access with which your employees can do their jobs, or your ability to respond to the request of law enforcement in an emergency, you absolutely need a mobile device management solution deployed to all of your organization's devices.
Dig into how MDM works on company-owned devices and in one-to-one, BYOD, and shared models. Learn how to enroll devices and manage profiles, and deploy applications to Apple, Android, and Windows devices without user involvement. Explore "over the air" management, security and control best practices, and storage planning. Sean also describes how to remotely wipe and unlock mobile devices, and set important restrictions. Finally, Sean will preview a number of the MDM vendors, including ZuluDesk and AirWatch, so you can choose the right solution for your organization.
- Introducing MDM principles
- Device storage needs
- Device control and unlocking
- Device supervision
- Using MDM to enhance security
- Working with the Apple Volume Purchase Program
- Using apps on Windows devices
- Deploying MDM on Google platforms
- Shopping for an MDM vendor