Join Sean Colins for an in-depth discussion in this video Overlapping terminology in MDM, part of Foundations of Mobile Device Management.
- [Narrator] There are many features and functions…on competing platforms that have the same names.…Thank goodness for standards.…But there are also cases where you find…the same name in the same general context…but it means something entirely different.…In the borderland between Apple…and Microsoft and now Google,…the classic example is the word "profiles".…When Apple started getting their feet wet…with mobile device management,…they introduced a tool called iPhone Configuration Utility,…frequently called iPCU, and with it gave…an entirely new meaning to the word "profiles".…
In the new context, Apple referred to the XML plists…of settings that could be created with iPCU…as mobile configuration profiles…which quickly became known as just profiles, for short.…When trying to communicate about these new tools…with seasoned Windows administrators,…there was always a moment in the conversation…where I would have to stop and answer the question,…"What does this have to do with user profiles?…"I thought that iOS devices didn't support multiple users."…
Dig into how MDM works on company-owned devices and in one-to-one, BYOD, and shared models. Learn how to enroll devices and manage profiles, and deploy applications to Apple, Android, and Windows devices without user involvement. Explore "over the air" management, security and control best practices, and storage planning. Sean also describes how to remotely wipe and unlock mobile devices, and set important restrictions. Finally, Sean will preview a number of the MDM vendors, including ZuluDesk and AirWatch, so you can choose the right solution for your organization.
- Introducing MDM principles
- Device storage needs
- Device control and unlocking
- Device supervision
- Using MDM to enhance security
- Working with the Apple Volume Purchase Program
- Using apps on Windows devices
- Deploying MDM on Google platforms
- Shopping for an MDM vendor
Skill Level Beginner
1. MDM Principles
2. Device Management Capabilities
3. Use MDM to Enhance Security
4. Application Purchase and Deployment
Apps on Windows mobile1m 43s
5. Shop for an MDM Vendor
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.