Join Cris Ippolite for an in-depth discussion in this video Donations example, part of Relational Database Design with FileMaker Pro.
- View Offline
- So far we've learned about the basic relationship types…and how to model relationships between tables.…However, we've only looked at one use case,…but in this movie, we're gonna use a real world example…to apply what we've learned.…In review, data modeling breaks into three phases.…First, you Develop a List of entities, or Tables,…that belong in your data model.…Next, Determine and Diagram the…relationships between those tables.…And third, review the diagram for correctness…and consistency, and possibly revisit…steps one and two if necessary.…
Okay, here's a process description for this example.…Take a minute to read this through, making special note…where you think you'll see potential entities,…and when you're looking for entities…in your description, look for nouns.…Go ahead and pause this video and finish reading.…Using the nouns technique, we can identify our…entities as events, members, and donations.…Each of these entities are in fact different and discreet…types of data, and each can be…described differently from the others.…
The course applies to versions of FileMaker Pro from 7 through the most current version.
- Reviewing relationships types
- Diagramming relationships
- Resolving many-to-many relationships
- Determining which tables need key fields
- Defining tables in FileMaker Pro
- Using the Relationship Graph
- Using multiple match fields in one relationship
- Using global fields to filter portals
- Creating self relationships
- Creating aggregate functions using relationships