FileMaker Go is the most unique product in the FileMaker platform and this video describes why.
- [Instructor] So what is FileMaker Go? Well, FileMaker Incorporated, a wholly owned subsidiary of Apple for the last 30 years, has sold over 25 million units of their desktop product, called FileMaker Pro. But in just the last three years, they've had over three million downloads of the FileMaker Go product for IOS. So what kind of a market does that give you if you want to create custom apps using this platform? Well, let me throw a couple numbers at you. The first number, 74.5 million, are the numbers of just iPhones that were sold last quarter. That's 34,000 per hour and 9.5 per second, and every single one of those iPhones can run a FileMaker custom app using FileMaker Go.
And that doesn't even take into account all the iPads. Based on Apple's recent earnings, the company sold over 10,000 iPads an hour every day just in the first quarter of this year. And again, every one of those iPads can run FileMaker Go. On top of that, there's no other faster growing segment than the business apps segment on the app store. So why is this important? Well a large number of those devices need custom business solutions, and business owners are already buying the devices and trying to make a business case for them. So imagine if you could pitch those same business owners and decision makers on a platform that not only provides a low cost app development environment for IOS, but the same applications that you create for IOS could be networked to an expansive backing system that could be shared with hundreds of users simultaneously using FileMaker Pro and FileMaker's server.
So, in this course I'm going to introduce you to the FileMaker Go app. FileMaker Go is the leading business app for iPad and iPhone It's a full featured FileMaker client that runs the FileMaker FMP12 file format on iPads of all kinds, iPhones, and iPod touches. FileMaker Go runs with files locally stored on your device or as a client connected to FileMaker's server. In this course I'm going to be using an iPad to show you databases on FileMaker Go, but keep in mind that FileMaker Go has the free client for iPhone and iPod touch as well, and no additional considerations besides screen size are needed for those other devices.
I'll talk about that throughout this course. When you're planning your database and determining who your user groups will be, it is now important that you include users outside your network with access only to iPhones or iPads. This could open up the doors for all sorts of different custom apps. The possibilities are virtually endless, and you can even create custom apps using FileMaker Go that can be distributed on the Itunes store using FileMaker SDK. FileMaker Go is a true FileMaker Pro client that dramatically extends the reach and convenience of FileMaker Pro databases to the Iphone and iPad as an IOS application.
So, dream big and enjoy playing around with your current custom apps on IOS as you get familiar with FileMaker Go.
- Understanding FileMaker Go
- Getting files on the device
- Touring the interface
- Design considerations for FileMaker Go
- Creating and editing records
- Working with container fields in FileMaker Go
- Matching keyboards to data types
- Detecting gestures in FileMaker Go