Join Cris Ippolite for an in-depth discussion in this video Compatible operating systems, part of FileMaker 14 Platform New Features.
- View Offline
- With the introduction of new versions of all the products on the FileMaker platform come new operating system requirements. Each product in the platform has its own requirements, starting with FileMaker Pro and FileMaker Pro Advanced. On OS X, they are compatible with Yosemite 10.10 and Mavericks 10.9. FileMaker Pro and FileMaker Pro Advanced on Windows are compatible with 8.1, Windows 8, and Windows 7 SP1. On FileMaker Go on iOS devices, any iOS device running iOS 8.1 or later, and that, of course, includes iPads, the iPad mini, iPhone, or even iPod touches, can all run the free version of FileMaker Go.
You can just go to iTunes, search for FileMaker Go for 14, and download that right to any of those iOS devices. FileMaker Server can run on OS X on Yosemite, Mavericks, and on Windows, Windows Server 2012, Standard Editions or on Windows 2008 SP1 Standard Edition or even the Enterprise Edition. Now if you have FileMaker Server, you also have access to FileMaker WebDirect, which is really a deployment option more so than it is a product on the platform, and this runs inside browsers.
Now if you're trying to run FileMaker WebDirect on desktop browsers, Safari 8 and higher are compatible, and IE 10 and higher are also compatible. You can also use Chrome version 38 or later. Now what's interesting about FileMaker WebDirect in the FileMaker 14 platform is that it can now be deployed on mobile browsers. So if you have a tablet that has Mobile Safari 8 or higher or iOS 8.1 or if you have Chrome 38 or later for Android, and again, that's on a tablet, then you can deploy FileMaker WebDirect in a mobile browser.
You should also be aware that FileMaker Go and FileMaker Pro and FileMaker Pro Advanced are all now 64-bit applications in the 14 platform, and this is a big deal when it comes to the application being able to make use of all the installed systems resources. For example, in previous versions FileMaker Server already was 64-bit compliant. Knowing which operating systems are required for the new FileMaker 14 platform will help you prepare for installation of all the products throughout the platform.
- Touring the new Launch Center
- Adding top and bottom navigation parts to layouts
- Working with buttons bars, labels, and icons
- Introducing the Script workspace
- Touring the new FileMaker WebDirect interface
- Understanding new Server features
- Scripting audio and video playback in container fields in FileMaker Go
- Touring the new FileMaker Go interface