Jim delivers an overview of this course on how to use Fieldwire to manage your construction projects. See how to ditch the paper blueprints for digital construction drawings that can be accessed by the entire construction project team.
- In this course, I'll show you how to use the Fieldwire app to manage construction drawings and activities in the field. Fieldwire is a Software as a Service platform, meaning that the software is mostly accessed online through a subscription, and they do make frequent updates to their system as it continues to evolve. Sometimes these updates include new features or even slight changes to existing features, and they don't always update the apps for different platforms at the same time. In this course, I'll be using the web app to teach you how to set up projects, add construction drawings, and do a lot of the administrative tasks.
And when I say web app, I'm talking about the Fieldwire app that you access by going to the Fieldwire website and logging in to your account. The nice thing about the web app is that it functions the same, regardless of the platform that you're using. This is normally the point in the course where I would tell you something like, I'm working on version 10 of the software. But their web app doesn't have a version number. Every time you go online and you log in, you see the latest version. So if you're following along and the web app that you see looks a little different when you log in, don't worry, it just means that they made some updates.
And don't be surprised, I counted over 30 new features added in just the six months prior to recording this course. But the core functionality remains the same. The things I'll teach you here about how to use this software to manage your construction projects and your activities, they'll still remain valid. Along the way in this course, I'll switch from using the web app to using some of the mobile apps. I'll let you know when I do this. These apps do have different versions associated with them, so I'll also let you know which version I'm using.
If you want to follow along during this course, in the web app or on one of the mobile apps, you'll need a Fieldwire account. But the apps themselves, the web app that you can open in the web browser and the mobile apps that you can download from your platform's app store, they're all free, just download and install. But to log in and use them, you will need a Fieldwire account. If you already have one, you're good to go. If you don't, I'll walk you through that setup in a few minutes. Other than that, this course does require you to have some knowledge of the construction process, and you need to have a basic understanding of how to read construction drawings.
And if you feel like you'd benefit from some instruction in those areas first, make sure to check out my Construction Management Foundations course and my Construction Management: Reading Drawings and Specifications course here in the online library.
- Creating new projects and adding drawings
- Adding project documents and hyperlinks
- Getting organized with folders
- Creating a strategy to organize your plans
- Two-way synchronizing with Box or Dropbox
- Marking up construction plan sheets
- Adding tasks
- Using the mobile apps
- Closing a project