Join Scott Simpson for an in-depth discussion in this video Exploring the included apps, part of Up and Running with Fedora Linux.
- Let's take a brief tour of the apps that are included…with Fedora Workstation out of the box.…We'll take a more detailed look at some of these later on,…but for now I want to tell you…a little bit about each one.…I've opened up the Overview mode…and gone to Show Applications.…The first app here is Boxes which allows you…to create, run and connect to virtual machines.…If your system has an optical drive,…you'll see Brasero which lets you burn DVDs and CDs…if you have an optical drive that supports disc creation.…After that there is Cheese which is a photo booth app…allowing you to take photos and still pictures…with a webcam that's attached to your computer.…
Clocks allows you to set up a window…showing times around the world,…set alarms, use a stopwatch and set a timer.…Contacts is your address book which…can store contacts locally or connect to a cloud provider.…DevAssistant is pretty neat.…It's a helper application that makes setting…up development projects in various languages…like C, C++, Java, Node,…Pearl, PHP, Python and Ruby…
- What is Fedora Linux?
- Downloading and installing Fedora
- Navigating the GNOME Shell
- Working with files and folders
- Working at the command line
- Configuring Fedora Server
Skill Level Beginner
Q: Why don't the VirtualBox Guest Additions install properly on Fedora 23?
A: It seems that the VirtualBox Guest Additions don’t like the version of the X.Org Server software that comes with the Fedora 23 ISO. Before installing the additions, make sure to run:
sudo dnf update
This will get the latest version of X.Org Server (currently 1.18). After that, restart the VM. Then run:
sudo dnf install gcc kernel-devel-$(uname -r)
This command installs the gcc compiler and updated kernel headers, which the Guest Additions need in order to build themselves. $(uname -r) takes the output of the uname -r command, which returns the current kernel version number, and uses it to request to install the correct version for your system. Then try installing the Guest Additions again. You should see "Installing X.Org Server 1.18 modules [ OK ].” Restart the system again, and the full-screen feature should work.