For most challenges, a solution can be developed through specific research steps. Here we follow a step by step process, using free online tools to solve the challenge.
- [Voiceover] Now we're going to provide a solution…to these four questions and draw up a report of that.…So firstly we head over…to the Google search planner again,…and we click on tools, keyword planner,…and we scroll down to where it says…get search volume data and trends,…and once we're there we make sure that our settings…reflect what it is that we're searching for.…So if you're doing a global search,…make sure it's set on global.…In our case here we are just searching…for the United States.…
So it's targeting the United States,…and we start off by entering our most commonly…searched for keyword or at least just enter the keyword…that you think people will be searching for most commonly.…So in this case, water filters,…and we scroll down and we click on get search volume.…Notice that Google will instantly return the results,…and in this case we can see that there's an average…monthly search volume of 14,800 searches…for this particular keyword.…
The competition is quite high.…Now this does not represent the total demand…
Adriaan Brits consults with organizations all over the world at improving their market research practices. Here, he shares his knowledge with you. Using data from big (and free) online ecosystems such as Google, Facebook, and LinkedIn, Adriaan shows how you can measure consumer demand, trends, market competitiveness, and direct competition. He also introduces some premium toolsets used by professional marketers. By the end of the course, you'll have the skills to conduct your own independent research and investigate your customers and competitors online.
- Conducting quantitative and qualitative research
- Understanding the limitations of what you can research online
- Using Google AdWords, Facebook, and Amazon to measure demand
- Using LinkedIn and Google to measure competition
- Seeing marketing research in action
- Using free or premium tools to carry out online research
- Using Alexa, SEMrush, and SimilarWeb for in-depth research