Join Olivia Uribe-Mutal for an in-depth discussion in this video Pros and cons, part of Social Media for Nonprofits.
- Blogging doesn't fit in the category of social media perfectly, because a network built around it is not organic by nature. However, it's been included in this course because it's a very useful platform. A blog is simply short for weblog. Blog and blog readership has only continued to rise due to the successful distribution through the use of social media channels. According to wordpress.com, their platform has over 409 million readers per month worldwide. The majority of blogs, 71%, are being read in English.
Before learning the tactics, let's talk about the pros and cons of blogging. You may be wondering, why are blogs so popular? There are a lot of positive attributes about blogs. First, blogs are dynamic, even moreso than websites. When was the last time that you visited a website for the third time hoping to find new content? Another benefit of blogs is that their content can be longer than the post that you will usually use on other social media platforms. Also, when you integrate your blog with your website, you will help ensure that your website ranks higher in websearches by simply adding fresh content to your blog.
There aren't too many drawbacks to blogs, but there are two important rules of thumb. Number one is that blogging takes a long time to do well. You must post consistently, or you won't leverage all the potential benefits of blogging. Secondly, you must spend the time properly setting up all the right social integration tools. Or, manually distributing your blog posts to your social media channels. Otherwise, the time invested in blogging will be a totally wasted effort. If you decide you'll invest the time to set up the platform correctly, and you'll distribute your content across platforms, then watch the next video for best content types and best practices.
- Explain how to listen to your audience through social media.
- Recognize the importance of proofreading and testing all the content in your blog before publishing.
- Identify ways in which blogging provides an edge or leverage over many social media platforms.
- Recall the category you must choose for your Facebook page to be able to incorporate a donations button on your page.
- Name the type of campaign you must choose to promote the advertisement of video content you post.