- My first piece of advice may sound like a "duh-ism", but you really need to have a good screen name. So, let's talk about what makes a good screen name. A good screen name, first of all, is logical. My name is Guy Kawasaki, and the easiest, simplest one is Guy Kawasaki, it's not G. Kawasaki, it's not Guy T. Kawasaki, it's the most logical, simple one. You also want a screen name that's neutral. What if social media were around 20 years ago when I worked for Apple, and what if I got a screen name like Guy The Mac Lover.
Well, the problem with that is, someday maybe I might not love a Macintosh, or someday Macintosh would've been gone, or who knows what would have happened. So, get a nice, neutral name, again, Guy Kawasaki. Next thing is think for the really long term, that if you start using a name that is trendy and hot and describes you, you know, blond surfer guy, 21, what happens when you're bald? I mean, lots of things can happen in the long run. So, this screen name is ideally gonna stick with you for a very long time.
So, simplest, shortest path, the most logical path, in my case, it's simply Guy Kawasaki.
- Optimizing avatars and profiles
- Finding great content others will want to share
- Perfecting posts
- Gaining more followers
- Creating attention-grabbing graphics
- Dealing with comments and trolls