Join Martin Shervington for an in-depth discussion in this video How to deal with trolls on social media, part of Social Media Marketing: Managing Customer Comments.
- [Voiceover] I'd love to say that your presence online…is gonna be trouble free and easy sailing.…And 99% of the time, it will be.…What we need to consider though,…is when things don't quite work out as you want.…And one of these things is when you get…negative comments from people,…especially comments from expert trolls.…It's well known that trolls exist on the internet…and there's a different nature of troll,…but trolls generally are people…that are dragging you down.…And the number one rule is…you don't have to engage.…
You have loads of options…as to the best way to deal with them,…including the following.…You can ignore them, you can delete their comments,…and you can block them.…Many people really care about their opinion online…and they feel they have a right to say things.…If they decide to express an opinion on your comment thread,…it may matter to them.…So, what should you do?…This really comes down to the potential…consequence of taking one of those actions.…And what I'd say is the first thing to know…
- Differentiate between threaded and non-threaded conversations.
- Explain why hashtags are used in social media posts.
- Describe ways in which images influence social behavior.
- Recall how to use questions to your advantage in social media posts.
- Cite reasons why it’s important to be careful about the topics you post about online.
- Explain how to redirect attention on a comment thread.
- Recognize the importance of avoiding being snarky on social media threads.