Join Megan Adams for an in-depth discussion in this video How to create a Facebook page, part of Marketing on Facebook.
- [Instructor] Creating a Facebook page is the first step to marketing and promoting your business or brand on Facebook. Facebook walks you through the creation process step by step but you will need to have a clear idea of what your business does, a local or profile picture and cover photo. Let's walk through those steps on how to set up a Facebook page. First, you'll need to login to your personal Facebook account. This account will be the one associated to the page you're setting up. And it'll also be how you'll manage your page. You'll also be able to add other admins once your page is set up.
Users won't know your personal profile is associated with a specific page unless you opt to make that connection. Here you can see I'm logged in as Dahlia Landon. So the first thing we're going to do is head to the arrow on the menu at the top right-hand of the screen. It's here that I can see all the pages associated to Dahlia's account. We're going to go through how to create a new page, so I'm going to select create a page. It's here that I'm going to choose a category for the page that I want to set up. So I can choose from Local Business or Place, Company, Organization, or Institution, Brand or Product, Artist, Band or Public Figure, Entertainment, and Cause or Community.
Each category unlocks different features for your brand page. If you're unsure which category to choose, here's a guide of sorts that you can also reference to help narrow down your primary category. This web page will help you understand which features are available based on the page category. And you can access it using the URL you see on your screen below. Back on the main page, you can always click into the main category and look through the sub-categories to see where your business might fit in. All you have to do is start typing to get the drop-down suggestions.
For my example, I'm going to select Local Business or Place. So as I mentioned, for the sub-category, you can simply start typing in to see what the options are. Here I'm going to select Hotel & Lodging. Next, I'm going to add in the page name. And then the address. Be mindful that any address or phone number you put in is going to be public. Before you select Get Started, it's always a good idea to look at the Facebook pages and terms. And you can access them by clicking on the highlighted Facebook Pages Terms link.
Now, I'm going to select Get Started, and it's here that Facebook will walk us through the final steps in creating our page. It's here that Facebook is going to take us through some steps. The first step is to add a profile picture. So this is going to help people find you by using a photo, and this is essentially your avatar. So how you're going to do that is you're just going to select Upload a Profile Picture. I go into that in more depth in the next movie, so I'm going to select Skip. Also, a cover photo is really important. Again, we'll be covering that a little bit later, so I'm going to select Skip.
So here you can see that this is the newly created Facebook page. Facebook's going to hold your hand through the creation process. So they're even encouraging you to invite your friends. My recommendation is to hold off until your page is complete. It's encouraging you now to publish your first post. Again, hold off until you create your page. You want to make sure that everything looks wonderful before launching it into the world. One thing I highly recommend doing first though is grabbing the username for your page. And you're going to do that by selecting this box. But if you don't see that, you're also going to find that through the About section, under username.
So a username makes it really easy to find your page when searching within Facebook. And then it also creates a custom URL. So that custom URL would look something like, www.facebook.com/ whatever your username is. And this is going to be the link that you put on your marketing materials. So for the username I might put thelhotel. And that is available. So I am going to select Create Username. And it's here that that username has been created.
So people can visit the page directly at the URL fb.me/thelhotel. And I'm going to select OK. Now, just be aware with the username that someone else might have your username that you want. So that means you might need to get a little bit creative. And getting creative, just make sure that it's not too far off from your actual business, and that it is recognizable to customers. So here I am on the somewhat completed Facebook page. Now, it is looking a little blank. Facebook really wants to help you learn how to navigate it and fill it in.
So your next step is going to be following the prompts that you see and filling in the pertinent information, while familiarizing yourself with your brand new page. Don't be shy. Put in as much information as possible. Play around with that profile image and that cover photo. And just make sure it's a great representation of you and your business.
- Define what a Facebook page is and how it works.
- Cite the categories you can select when creating a Facebook page.
- Describe the benefits of adding photos and video to your Facebook page.
- Explain how to add a Facebook like button to your website.
- Differentiate among the different formats for adding photos and videos to your posts.
- Summarize how to create a Facebook milestone.
- Explain how to moderate your Facebook comments.
- Recall the process for setting up a promotion.
- Cite the importance of tracking your Facebook page views.