- Different platforms have different methods of engagement and comments are one of the main ways to get people's attention. Taking a quick look at Facebook, here people will comment on your content or like it, and you'll be notified. So the notification system of every platform is something you really want to get to grips with, especially if you're a marketer. And know that you'll be sending people a notification when you like their content or their comments, or reply to them. And also know you can change your own settings and also your notifications.
In this particular example you can see that two people, Sabrina and Martin, have liked a particular post, and what you'll find is if lots of people like it, then it will just have a number. When you click on that number you'll be able to bring up a list and potentially add those people as friends as well. And from there you have a list of people that you can then go and engage with, and start to understand that they were into the same thing related to that content, which could be a good list of people to be looking at doing business with or forming partnerships.
Coming now to Google+, in a similar way to Facebook, on this platform you have a +1 button. So when you +1 by hovering over and clicking, you'll be sending a message to the person who has that particular post, it can be a page or a profile, that you related to it. And when many people click you'll be given the option to see the activity on that post. You may even decide to +1 their comments and to reply to them at the same time.
Now looking at Twitter, this platform has something similar. They used to have a star but they now have a heart, and it used to be called a favorite but it is now called a like. And this is exactly the same principle. Once you click that, people are sending a digital message to somebody to say you related to that particular subject matter. And on Twitter, you can retweet that content, which is a bit like resharing. And coming across to Youtube, you can if you want to, and if you've got comments switched on for a particular video, have people comment as well as click the thumbs up button, which is underneath most videos to say that you've like it, or you could click the alternative if you don't.
All in all, begin to consider the different platforms and the mechanisms by which people can engage. They can share your content, they can +1, they can like, they can thumbs up, and understand that these mechanisms are the ones by which you find out who is paying attention. So, next steps is to list out your social channels and write down the potential ways people can engage with you on each one. This is going to help you to build a map and get ready to engage with all those that are paying you attention.
- Differentiate between threaded and non-threaded conversations.
- Explain why hashtags are used in social media posts.
- Describe ways in which images influence social behavior.
- Recall how to use questions to your advantage in social media posts.
- Cite reasons why it’s important to be careful about the topics you post about online.
- Explain how to redirect attention on a comment thread.
- Recognize the importance of avoiding being snarky on social media threads.