Social Media Strategist Megan Adams walks you through an overview of how social media can help you establish and promote an online community for your business. This video includes best practices for building an online community using popular social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram.
- What are some best practices…for building a community online?…The first step is to be very clear…on who your community is.…Your community is not for everyone.…It's for specific individuals…that resonate with your message.…Gaining clarity on this is important…for the best practices to come.…Next up, define the rules of engagement.…What is expected of your community members?…What is acceptable behavior?…What isn't?…What happens to a community member…that doesn't follow the guidelines?…Defining the rules of engagement helps…to develop a positive and happy community.…
Your guidelines for community interaction…are often displayed more through action…than anything else.…But some communities prominently display the rules…on their "About" section or their FAQs.…So, in the case of OVCAA,…they may want to add in a short description…about what they expect from their community members.…Next is authenticity.…Don't try to be something you aren't.…Community building is about bringing…a group of people together in order…to build something greater than the individual.…
This course is part of a Learning Path approved by the American Marketing Association.
Gain the skills you need to become an AMA Professional Certified Marketer (PCM) in Digital Marketing by using the industry-leading courses and resources in the Learning Path. Take the AMA certification exam to show that you have what it takes to lead the digital transformation.
- Recognize the type of online community that will best serve your goals.
- Summarize how to create an effective mission statement.
- Explain how you can build community through social media.
- Cite the ways to create buzz around your community.
- Describe ways to scale your community.
Skill Level Beginner
Q: This course was updated on 04/26/2018. What changed?
A: The following topics were updated: online tools for building community, creating engagement online, paid vs. unpaid tactics for growth, and measuring your community's growth.