There are many terms and acronyms specific to marketing and online advertising and you’ll need to know many of these terms when you start advertising on Facebook. Social Media Strategist, Megan Adams provides an overview of the most important ones and must-know advertising terms. Term include click-through rate (CTR), frequency and reach.
- [Voiceover] There are many terms and acronyms…specific to marketing and online advertising.…You'll need to know many of these terms…when you start advertising on Facebook.…Let's do an overview of some of the…most important ones to know.…Click are the total number of click actions on your ad.…Now, depending on what you're promoting,…this can include page likes, event responses,…or app installs.…CTR, or Click-Thru Rate,…refers to the number of clicks you recieve,…divided by the number of times an ad was shown on Facebook.…
The higher this number, the better your ad is performing.…Next we have CPM, or Cost Per 1000 Impressions.…This is the average cost you've paid…to have 1000 impressions on your ad,…and an impression is any time the advertisement…is shown on the screen.…But keep in mind an impression…doesn't guarantee the user saw it,…just that it appeared on their page.…This is the average Cost Per Click, or CPC.…For these ads, they're calculated as the amount spent,…divided by the number of clicks recieved.…
Even if you're paying for ads on a CPM basis,…
Social media strategist Megan Adams takes you through the basics: setting up an account, understanding ad structure, and using the Ads Manager tools. She shows you how to make critical placement and budget decisions wisely. Learn when to promote pages vs. individual posts, when to use photo ads vs. link ads, and whether to place ads in the desktop or mobile news feed, in the sidebar, Instagram, or other places in Facebook's advertising network. Megan also shows you how to run ad reports, so you can determine whether your ads are accomplishing your goals. Finally, leave with some tips for writing great ads, choosing effective images, and improving ad performance.
This course is part of a Learning Path approved by the American Marketing Association.
Gain the skills you need to become an AMA Professional Certified Marketer (PCM) in Digital Marketing by using the industry-leading courses and resources in the Learning Path. Take the AMA certification exam to show that you have what it takes to lead the digital transformation.
- Prepare a Facebook ad that targets the appropriate audience.
- Calculate Impressions using Frequency and Reach.
- List the criteria Facebook considers to assign users to high level interests.
- Name six targeting options.
- Choose the best budget for your ad campaign.
- Analyze advertising reports to track performance.
- Identify the most useful success metrics to help achieve your goals.
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: This course was updated on 07/19/2017. What changed?
A: The following topics were updated: understanding different Facebook ad types, choosing an ad campaign, choosing a budget for your ads, choosing your ad creative, writing your ad content, managing ad placements, and placing your ad order.
Q: This course was updated on 11/07/2017. What changed?
A: The following topics were updated: additional advertising options and how to create Facebook ads.
Q: This course was updated on 1/15/2019. What changed?
A: The following topic was updated: exploring Facebook ad types.