Join Evan Sutton for an in-depth discussion in this video The bell sound, part of Frequency Modulation with FM8.
- Now that we're familiar with all of the components here…let's go ahead and do an exercise that I think really helps…to understand frequency modulation,…and then we'll get you going with making some…new types of textures that maybe you haven't made before.…We're gonna make a bell sound.…Now, a bell is a really cool thing to make with…a frequency modulating synthesizer…because it has that metallic quality to it…that I really like, and it will also get us thinking…about things like decay, and sustain, et cetera.…The first thing I'm gonna do is…I'm gonna set up my Amplitude Envelope.…
I really like to do that first with a lot of things…because it gives my brain something to operate inside of.…It's a nice paradigm to set up right at the beginning.…So what I'm gonna do is I'm gonna use F,…I'll turn it up, why not?…I'll go ahead and create a nice long release for this thing.…Now we don't have to have any Sustain there…I like to just have a little bit so that…if I hold down the key slightly too long…it doesn't kill the sound.…
- What is frequency modulation?
- Reviewing the FM8 routing matrix
- Harmonics, partials, and waveforms
- Using operators
- Percussion programming
- Programming with the Arpeggiator