Join Evan Sutton for an in-depth discussion in this video Master settings and polyphony, part of Frequency Modulation with FM8.
- View Offline
- Now, we've created a lot of different cool stuff here…with FM8, but one of the things that we haven't done yet…is address things like polyphony, and our master settings.…So I'd like to go do that now.…Let's go ahead, and let's grab our keyboard sound.…And I'm gonna go ahead and just loop that.…And let's go ahead and take a look at the Master page…over here on the left.…Now, we have our output volume, we have our input volume,…and input volume is for things like when we're using FM8…as an effect plug-in.…
Output volume is just an overall volume trim.…And again, just like with Massive or any other synthesizer,…just make sure you're not red-lining the whole time.…It's gonna distort, okay?…So we have,also our polyphony.…We have a maximum number of voices that we're setting.…And we set that for a few reasons.…First of all, we set it to limit the number of notes…that we can hear at any given time.…Because it will just become mayhem.…It will be too many harmonics at the same time.…We just won't be able to get anything out of it…
- What is frequency modulation?
- Reviewing the FM8 routing matrix
- Harmonics, partials, and waveforms
- Using operators
- Percussion programming
- Programming with the Arpeggiator