Working with Node and NPM we can automate our workflow to make working with our project a lot easier. These aren't exactly specific to express projects, but since express is part of node, automating can make it easier to work with projects. Nodemon and reload are two npm tools that can help you work more efficiently.
- [Voiceover] Right now, every time…we make a change to the website,…we need to stop the server and re-run it.…Now in a real project we would…probably want to automate this process,…so it would be nice for our process…to take care of doing things like…re-running the server whenever changes are made,…and you can also have…a browser take care of re-running the server…whenever changes are made to pages.…Although you can do this with tools like Gulp and Grunt,…this project isn't gonna need SAS or PostCSS,…or any other complex transformation,…so we can use one of the features that Node.js provides,…called Scripts, to take care of our needs.…
There's a couple of packages that can really help us.…We can use an npm package called Nodemon…that will watch a folder for files…and re-run the server if there are any changes.…Another package that will be helpful is called Reload.…This will automatically refresh your browser…when changes are made.…If you wanna learn more about reload,…make sure you check this GitHub repo.…Alright, so let's get started in our project…
In this course, Ray Villalobos walks through the process of creating full-featured websites with these technologies. First, find out how to install each package and leverage Node.js features from within Express. Then learn how to build a basic application with templating engines like EJS; create more flexible, modular code with includes and conditional statements; build APIs to manage HTTP requests to add and delete content dynamically; and configure more complex routing. Along the way, Ray implements features like customer feedback forms and real-time live chat, so you can see exactly what Node.js and Express are capable of.
- Handling HTTP requests with Node.js and Express
- Creating and modularizing routes
- Using templates
- Building flexible views
- Creating an API route
- Dealing with POST and DELETE requests
- Creating live chat features with Socket.IO