Join Demian Borba for an in-depth discussion in this video Why do we need a design system?, part of Developing a Design System with Adobe XD.
- [Narrator] Why do we need a design system? Why do we need one in place? First of all, we need it to create consistency. Again, developers and designers, mainly designers, working together, sharing files, sharing the way they work, sharing pieces to make projects and everything they do daily more effective. Also, to allow team scaling and help with onboarding. As the team grows, the more structure you have in place, as well as a system for new designers to get on board, the better it is.
So anytime there is a new designer joining the team, if you have a system for them to go there, grab a piece of component or understand how color or topography works, the more effective the whole team will perform. And also to have and enable designers and developers to share the same vocabulary. This is really important. The scenario today is, designers and developers working together so if they share the same vocabulary, if they call the components the same way, things will be more effective, teams will be more effective.
I'd like to introduce you now to this new term DesignOps, Design Operations. Just like we have DevOps for Development Operations, now we have DesignOps. So companies have whole teams dedicated to this. And they focus on experience consistency and efficiency in the design process. I'd like to talk about two companies that do a great job there. First, Airbnb. Airbnb has a team dedicated to serve designers and developers internally.
It's called the production team or the tooling team and they have people dedicated to creating components, to making things standardized, to make them into the system in a very cohesive way so that designers and developers can access them from a single place. Facebook on the other hand, they have 400 private designers. That's using 400 people working on design together. And internally they have a tooling team dedicated to provide tools for this big group to work more effectively together.
One of the things that I saw there that was really impressive, they were creating a prototype based on real components and it made a real login in the prototype. So as they grabbed components to create this design, they jumped to prototype, made that prototype work, and they even connected that prototype to a real login, bringing real information to the design. And that's why we need a design system. To enable designers and developers to work together in a more effective way.
- Managing your project
- Managing typography and colors
- Pattern library with symbols
- Creating a CC Library in Photoshop
- Consuming colors and character styles
- Using linked and unlinked bitmaps
- Exporting assets
- Gathering feedback