In this video, learn some pro tips when working with shapes.
- [Instructor] I'd first like to start with this splash screen as you can see and actually the content really hasn't changed just the layout has. Notice how they've added a six and a seven for the iPhone and you can add in your custom size. But I'm going to move beyond this and start with this starter file. And honestly these graphics actually came from the design a mobile app with Adobe XD. So I encourage you to start there if you're new to Adobe XD otherwise we're going to dive into the new features and all these fantastic pro tips, and I'm going to start with just drawing shapes. I'm going to kind of zoom in here and kind of move that down and start drawing.
I'll just use for instance the rectangle tool. I can click and drag to create a rectangle. I can hold down the shift key and that's going to constrain it, okay so that works, I could delete that all together and let's just zoom out. And what I want to do now is I just want to find the center point right here. Notice how I can see that guide and I can hold down the alt key and then the shift key and then I can drag and create a perfect square by dragging out from the center to get what I want. Then from there, again command plus and command minus for zooming in and out on a Mac or control plus and minus for PC.
I can round the corners just grabbing any one of those control points, moving it in. I could then adjust them independently by holding down the alt key or option key and click and drag and see I've made that pointy and I can rotate it around just like that. And then we have one of those sort of like map pins if you want. Now let's get into pro tip, let's check this out. I'll just switch to my selection tool and if I double click inside of each shape notice how I have access to these BZA points. Okay and really all of these different points right here, so I could stretch this out and make that much more pointy if I want.
You know I have that sort of full control as I start to manipulate this accordingly. Now a little word to the wise there, if you do that and let's just kind of bring this back up kind of like that. I'll click out of it and now if I click back on it notice how I don't have access to those control points on the corners because it actually just thinks it's just a custom shape now. Which it happens to be and that's okay because we're making a nice little map point right at the top of this fantastic piece right there just like that.
And the same thing goes for these other tools, the ellipse tool, I can click and drag out a circle. And I'll just double click you can see I can access those control points, it makes me pretty happy in general, but I'll just delete that and dive into drawing paths now as well.
- Drawing and importing shapes and graphics
- Using the new color tools
- Editing area text
- Using layers
- Creating and editing symbols
- Previewing on a device
- Previewing in a browser and adding comments
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: This course was updated on 12/21/2017. What changed?
A: New videos were added that cover creating and importing; using layout grids and UI resources; working with assets; prototyping; and reviewing and exporting.