In this video you will learn the configuration requirements and options of mail exchange, or MX records in DNS for locating SMTP servers on the internet.
- [Voiceover] I have often described DNS…to my non-technical friends…as the phone book of the internet.…This lookup service allows us to find…internet and intranet domains…and specific resources within these domains.…The mailbox exchange record, or MX record…is a type of DNS entry created to help…e-mail servers find other e-mail servers.…When ascending SMTP server has a message…destined for firstname.lastname@example.org…it searches DNS for an MX record…for landonhotels.com so that it can find…an IP address to use as the destination…for that message.…
There is a rule in place for an implicit MX record…that will use the host record for the domain…or just landonhotels.com if there is no MX record.…This once was a good idea, but not so much anymore.…Many organizations resolve the host record…of just their domain name to their main website…or a marketing website, which could…cause an implicit MX record to fail.…This is, however, easy to overcome.…
Let's take a look at how DNS is configured.…Here we are on my domain controller and DNS server.…
AuthorScott M Burrell
- Planning and configuring transport and routing
- Understanding Safety Net
- Sending and receiving connectors
- Creating partner connectors
- High availability and site resilience
- Troubleshooting transport services
- Message security
- Filtering connections and recipients
- Spam confidence level thresholds
- Antivirus solutions
Skill Level Intermediate
Deploying Exchange Server 2016with Robert McMillen3h 1m Intermediate
Exchange 2016: Client Access Serviceswith Scott M Burrell1h 50m Intermediate
Exchange 2016: Mailbox Databaseswith Scott M Burrell2h 30m Intermediate
1. Plan and Configure Transport and Routing
2. High Availability and Site Resilience
3. Troubleshooting Transport Services
4. Message Security
Next steps1m 36s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.