Learn about the firewall and certificate requirements of a federation gateway, with additional best practices on the required X.509 certificate.
- [Narrator] The use of a federation gateway…takes the pressure off from your federation services…and your security team,…and places it on Microsoft.…This isn't unlike using a payment service…in between a buyer and a seller,…like we see in online auctions.…It's convenient to have an intermediary…that both parties can trust.…What this means for you is that…you'll have to prove your identity to Microsoft…as that intermediary,…so that they can vouch for you…to the partner organization.…
To get this started, you need to configure your firewall…and make sure that you're using a proper certificate.…First, the firewall.…This is our exchange mailbox server,…and in server 2016,…the mailbox role includes the client access services.…So this is the server that will be accessed by the gateway.…We need to make sure that any local firewall rules…are allowing HTTPS,…which is port 443,…and port 25 for SMTP.…
Now when exchange was installed,…these ports were probably opened…and these firewall rules created to facilitate…communication that's common to exchange.…
AuthorScott M Burrell
- Preparing for hybrid configuration
- Deploying a hybrid configuration
- Troubleshooting Exchange Online
- Troubleshooting Office 365 clients
- Configuring the gateway
- Managing sharing policies
- Troubleshooting cross-forest availability
- Troubleshooting mail flow
- Migrating from earlier versions
Skill Level Intermediate
Exchange 2016: Client Access Serviceswith Scott M Burrell1h 50m Intermediate
Exchange 2016: Mailbox Databaseswith Scott M Burrell2h 30m Intermediate
Exchange 2016: Transport Serviceswith Scott M Burrell2h 24m Intermediate
1. Coexistence with Office 365
2. Exchange Federation
3. Coexistence with Earlier Versions of Exchange
4. Migrate from Earlier Versions
Next steps1m 49s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.