If you've heard about the "long tail" or the "80/20 rule" but don't know how to find it in the data, this video is for you. Learn how to chart this effect and why it's important.
- [Instructor] Have you heard people talking…about the long tail or the 80-20 rule?…We're going to see what that means using…real data in Excel.…To follow along, go to the exercise…file 3.9, the long tail and the 80-20 rule.…The data you're seeing right here is…an export from Google's Keyword Planner.…You can see keywords related to cheap flights,…and how many searches they have per month.…To see the 80-20 rule in action,…let's chart this data.…So we're going to select this column,…Command + Shft down and scroll back up to the top.…
I'm going to hold Command, click here, Shift, down again.…And then we're going to go Insert.…And then we're going to create Clustered Column.…Now let's drag this out to make it more readable.…And wow, look what we see here.…The vast, vast majority of all the searches…are just from this one keyword, Cheap Flight.…Then it drops off pretty quickly,…and we have lots of keywords down here…that have very little traffic individually.…
This is what we mean by the 80-20 rule.…Eighty percent of the volume,…
Michael begins with the basics, showing how to work with marketing data sources and explaining basic formulas for analysis. Next, he walks through how to build a data-driven marketing plan, including mapping out your marketing funnel, reviewing volume vs. cost tradeoff, and running A/B testing. Michael shows how to analyze a campaign's performance, working with PivotTables, charts, and dashboards. Finally, he demonstrates how to set up marketing campaigns in bulk, including manipulating text for ad copy generation and automating the most boring, repetitive tasks with macros.
- Cleaning up data formatting
- Using formulas for analysis
- Building a data-driven marketing plan
- Top-down vs. bottom-up marketing plans
- Running A/B tests
- Analyzing campaign performance
- Plotting data visually
- Building report templates and dashboards
- Building bulksheets for bulk campaigns on AdWords and Facebook
Skill Level Beginner
1. Excel Basics for Marketers
2. Build a Data-Driven Marketing Plan
3. Analyze Your Campaign Performance
4. Build Marketing Campaigns in Bulk
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.